It makes sense to wrap up to keep warm through the winter. But, have you considered your water pipes too?
South Staffs Water offer the following advice for reducing pipe bursts.
- Insulate water tanks and lag pipes – make sure there are no gaps at bends, valves or fittings.
- Pay special attention to water tanks and pipes in unheated areas like loft spaces and garages.
- Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe.
- Find your property’s internal stoptap and make sure you can turn it off if necessary. Most stoptaps are fitted under the kitchen sink and close by turning clockwise.
- Check your boiler has been serviced.
- Minimise draughts from outside and close doors and windows to unheated parts of the property.
- Leave the heating on low when you are away and get a friend or neighbour to check the property regularly.
- Keep a separate supply of drinking water for emergencies.
You can even download a free guide to how to prevent or deal with frozen pipes.